Jim's Trek V, my exercise journey now on my Schwinn 170 from Tampa to parts unknown...

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Day 41 - (AD 471) – Jim's Trek Part III – 21.5 Miles – Victoria, Australia On My Schwinn 170

Good Day,

I cycled an additional 21.5 miles this morning on my Schwinn 170. I am now just shy of about 8.7 miles before I cross the 9,500 mark. And only 508.7 miles to go. Not bad for this elder fella. Anticipation. I have been cycling now for 471 days since 2 December 2012.


On this 41st day of my virtual Trek in Australia I am still in the State of Victoria. I am located, once again, on the Western/National Highway and I am approaching Horsham Wal Wal Road.


My Fat Percentage hit 19.3% today. According to the American Council on Exercise I fall within the average range for men - 18 to 24%. Based on the World Health Organization and National Institutes of Health I fall within the Healthy Range for men 61 to 79 years - 13% to 25%. My goal to to get to 17%.

Well I always knew that I was a klutz, and yesterday was a good example. Walking The Pack for their afternoon p-break we were moving at a fair pace forward on the sidewalk. All four leashes were twisted on my right wrist when all of a sudden I lurched forward and began what may have appeared to have been a spastic belly flop. And Tinker, the smallest of The Pack attempted to break my fall. Tinker weighs in at 11 pounds. As I tumbled two thoughts went racing through my head; don’t land on Tinker, and don’t let go of the leashes.

Sprawled and face down on the cement, hard, solid, fixed sidewalk I slowly clambered to my knees, and then to my feet. I had scraped my left hand, my left elbow, a toe on my left foot, and my left knee. My right side was saved by Tinker, but the poor thing was shaking in fear. I resolutely steadied myself and got up and checked the blood flowing from my scrapes and cuts. I had not let go of the leashes and The Pack decided that my bruised self-esteem and standing body was their likely Maypole. Untangling myself and the dogs I saw that I had tripped at a point of the sidewalk where two blocks of the cement were unevenly set together. Damn. And yes I am a klutz.

I can pedal, but can I walk?

If you are reading this blog and just so happen to be somewhere along my route in Australia please feel free to drop me a line at jsmith58@gmail.com. Certainly would welcome it.

Trying to be healthy,

And enjoy,

Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment