Jim's Trek V, my exercise journey now on my Schwinn 170 from Tampa to parts unknown...

Thursday, October 9, 2014

Day 214 – (AD 644) – Jim's Trek Part III – 21.2 Miles – At Collins Lagoon in Western Australia on My Schwinn 170

Good Day,

This morning The Pack increased in size; 4 to 6…and they range from 125 lbs down to 11 lbs.. Yes, Chez The Pack Hotel is open for business.

Today I cycled 21.2 miles on my Schwinn 170. My total miles now equal 13,221.7; 21,278.3 kilometers.

I am located on National Highway 1 just southwest of Collings Lagoon. Only 92 ½ miles to my next destination and goal point.

This morning I went to the local phlebotomist. I go every so many months to have blood sucked out of my body. It is my routine diabetes follow-up. And on today’s menu; the red stuff and the yellow stuff are requested. From the main waiting room my name is called and I am ushered to booth 3. Paperwork completed I sit down in waiting room #2. My name is called. “Please follow me to Room #3.”

“You’re name is ‘mumble, mumble’? And your of date of birth? That’s not what’s on the paper. You are too young.” “Thank you” I interject. “I have the wrong paperwork. Please go back to the waiting room #2.” I get up and move and then sit, expecting that some time will pass. (Oh yeah there is only one other patient at the office. It’s not really crowded.) I sit. I am called. “Room #3, please.” I follow.

“Which arm would you like me to use?” Not much of a difference to me, I say “Right.” The arm is prepped. The gloves are put on. The lance breaks through the skin. I wince a bit. (In all these years I have never got used to the skewering of my arms.) I figure I’ll be out in a couple of minutes.

I turn my head and look over at my arm, with the metal spear sticking out into the test-tube reservoir. There’s no blood. There’s no flow. There’s NO blood. The tube is empty. The phlebotomist states emphatically “You moved the vein.” I moved the vein. I moved the vein. Hell, and how in the hell did I move the damn vein? She extracts and then bandages my arm.

The expert shrugs, “Guess I’ll try the other arm.” Why not I have two…but that’s where I draw the line. With a running start, and after prepping number 2 arm in room number 3 the phlebotomist pierces the skin deeply and the red, red, dark red blood begins to flow. Three test tubes are quickly filled.

I ask, “Have you got what you need?” “Yes,” and the sabre is withdrawn. My arm is patched up. “I now need you to pee in the cup.” She hands me the plastic container. “Please fill it up. And return it to the basket in this room.” “Could I have a top?” I ask. “We ran out of those.” “Okay I will be careful.”

So I walk out of room 3 and find myself to the patients’ bathroom. I do my business and, as ordered, I fill the cup. Gingerly I placed the filled cup on the not so level shelf surface when I notice that there are splashes of blood on the floor and on the toilet. Damn, I think to myself, did a previous patient have an accident and no-one cleaned up the room?

That’s when I notice. My arm number 2 is covered from elbow to hand in blood. I’m dripping. I’m melting. I quickly clean up, gather up my belongings and the topless cup and head back to room number 3.

I interrupt the phlebotomist and her next voodoo doll. “I think you need to patch me up a bit more carefully.” The eyes on her next victim grow saucer round and wide. “Not a good thought when you’re being prepped I state.” “No, no, no,” he stammers.

I’m cleaned up and I head out to my car. And just think All Hallows’ Eve is just around the corner.

Jim’s Trek counted 52,210 Pageviews.

I definitely welcome any comments or thoughts or ideas. Please feel free to contact me at Jim’s Trek.

Be healthy and enjoy your day.

Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment