Jim's Trek V, my exercise journey now on my Schwinn 170 from Tampa to parts unknown...

Friday, January 30, 2015

Day 312 – (AD 742) – 22.3 Miles – Jim's Trek Part III – Split Screen on My Schwinn 170

Good Day,

This morning I pedaled another 22.3 miles on my Schwinn 170... Yes I am consistent. My total today – 15,355.2 miles; 24,711.9 kilometers.


I am headed west on my virtual Trek and I am located on Lasseter Highway in the Northern Territory in Australia. Even though the Google image appears to be a split image you can definitely see that it is dry…and red.

And I continue pedaling.

Picture this… actually listen to this. Land-line telephone rings. It rings twice. ID faceplate shows “Private Number”.

 I answer. “Hello”. There is a background “office-type” commotion in the background. I repeat. “Hello”.

“Can I speak to James Smith?” Definitely not an English accent, asked in English. Leaning more towards either Filipino or Indian.

I quickly reply and ask. “What are you calling about?”

The response. “I am calling about your computer.”

“Sorry you have reached the wrong James Smith.” I hang up.

Obviously a scam. Good article by Ollie Garkey to read on Daily Kos – “If you get a call about your computer, it’s a scam.

(Photo: Elly Stewart/Kresge Foundation)
I am a kid, and I feel like a kid when I read about Ruth Adler Schnee. She signed a 20-year contract with the design firm Knoll International. Ms. Schnee is 91-years-old. Touché.

Read Micheal H. Hodges January 30th article in The Detroit News – "Textile designer picker as Kresge’e 2015 Eminent Artist."

I have an issue with Ancestry.com. In November I applied for a free trial with Archive.com which of course I had to enter an account number for the advertised "Free Trial". I obviously missed the "fine print" and Archive.com started billing me on a regular basis. I called when I noticed a third month charge.

They, at Archive.com, tried to say that it was my fault. Anyway long story short they reversed the three months of charges. And this was only after that I asked the question of why should I be paying more to a subsidiary of Ancestry when I had just renewed my annual international subscription to Ancestry which I have had an ongoing account for over 10 years.

Their response was almost immediate. I have already received the email notification of cancellation.

FYI Ancestry.com owns Genealogy.com, Fold3.com, Rootsweb.com, Newspaper.com and Footnote.com.  And once you start adding up the annual subscriptions costs the total is in the vicinty of $500.00 a year.

Many people are unaware of this and it is Ancestry.com's way of "dinging" for subscription dues from unsuspecting genealogy researchers.

This is my 790th Jim’s Trek post. According to Blogger Jim’s Trek has recorded, as of this morning, 59,764 Pageviews.

I welcome comments or thoughts or ideas. Please feel free to contact, email me at Jim’s Trek.

Be healthy and enjoy your day.

Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment