Jim's Trek V, my exercise journey now on my Schwinn 170 from Tampa to parts unknown...

Friday, November 10, 2017

Day 289 – (AD 1,451) – 24.6 Miles – Jim’s Trek Part V – Mars on My Schwinn 170

Good Day,

Today I pedaled 24.6 miles on my Schwinn 170. Totals now stand at 30,904.3 miles; 49,735.7 kilometers.


And I have completed 54.9% of the distance to my next destination on Mars.

Question – How did “Pâté Chinois” ever translate from “Shepherd’s Pie”?

I made Pâté Chinois au Fromage en Grains for supper.



We discovered that it is a French -Canadian dish. That certainly makes sense now. It is sort of a cross between a Shepherd's Pie and Poutine. And all the years I lived in Canada I never had or even heard of it. It was the "fromage-en-grain" that threw me for a loop.

I grew up in a very British/West Indian family and always had Shepherd's Pie. I saw the French text version recipe of Pâté Chinois au Fromage en Grains. I followed the recipe and as I was putting the ingredients together I exclaimed that this is "Shepherd's Pie" with Creamed Corn and Cheese Curds.

Of course, I am always curious as to the derivation of and the use of certain words by different languages. I just could not make heads or tails of a literal translation of the title of the recipe "Chinese Cheese Pie in/with Grains".

After I ate a portion, I then stated that this is sort of a cross between Shepherd's Pie and Poutine. And that began me wondering as to the derivation of the recipe and the name.

From what I've sort of deduced the "Pâté Chinois" is the French-Canadian term for "Shepherd's Pie" and the "Fromage en Grain" is, again French Canadian term for "Cheese Curds".

In some way it could be called "Shepherd's Poutine Pie" or "Cottage Poutine Pie". And I can think of many more iterations.

Bottom line, it was a good "comfort meal". Satisfying and filling.

Soapbox -


This is my 1,551st post. Per Blogger Jim’s Trek has recorded, as of this writing, 184,652 Pageviews.

I welcome comments or thoughts or ideas. Please feel free to contact, email me at Jim’s Trek. (This link is my email address - jsmith58@gmail.com.)

Have a healthy day and smile,

Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment