Jim's Trek V, my exercise journey now on my Schwinn 170 from Tampa to parts unknown...

Monday, July 1, 2013

Day 209 – Jim’s Trek – 20.6 Miles – Schwinn 150 to Spokane En Route To Seattle, Washington

Good Day, and Happy Canada Day,

This morning I cycled on my Schwinn 150 20.6 miles. I am now located on US-195 N, southwest of Spokane, Washington. I am headed toward US-90 West.

I suppose the reality of the virtual and real physical part of this Trek on my Schwinn 150 has just sunk into my thick grey matter… This is the situation especially from where I am located on US-195 N and I come upon the highway sign indicating that I am on route to Seattle. I have now pedaled 3,942.2 miles and I am currently trekking at 19.0 miles daily.

I now need to understand if my weigh scale is on the fritz. It is registering that I have put on weight… not inches, just pounds. This morning I weighed in at 166.4 pounds. Overall I have lost 4.4 pounds since I began my Trek on December 3, 2012. Guess I’ll have to figure out my BMI, Body Mass Index. A quick calculation computes my BMI at 22.7. I am well in the normal weight range; 18.5 to 24.9. So I don’t worry, I be happy. (I checked out the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute site.)

Walking half The Pack this past evening, I heard a tremendous commotion billowing down from one of the trees hanging over the sidewalk. I recognized the high pitched song of a male Cicada. Next thing I knew we were being bombarded by a bird in pursuit of a loud-clicking chubby lace-winged Cicada. The loud Tibicen, appropriately known as the Dog-Day Cicada, plummeted downward and landed on the sidewalk at my feet. Both Max and Radar were astonished and intrigued by the buzzing thing. I was about the reach out and capture the fierce little fellow, and within a flash Radar grabbed the Cicada and chomped away and swallowed. Gone.

Last night I expected to be awakened not by Radar’s typical yowl… but by his yapping tempered by the high-pitched squealing of a clicking crazy and kooky canine.  And sure enough a present of a masticated Cicada was found on the dog blankets this morning.

Writing of food, supper last night was a one of the best meals that I have prepared in a long time, at least since last week. I created a dish of pan-seared Grouper with Zucchini and Grape Tomatoes on Orzo pasta. Grouper, olive oil, salt pepper, shallots, lemon peel, lemon juice, fresh oregano, and fresh basil. Outstanding, and a meal that can be termed “celestial”.

For dessert I made a sort of Toll House chocolate chip cookie cheese cake type-of thing. Very simple to make; rolls of chocolate chip cookies, cream cheese, eggs, vanilla, and sugar. And I had to have a second helping. Oh and bye-the-bye my blood sugar count this morning was 100.


Episode 6 of The Newsroom. Theme “Bullies”. Not kids, bullying kids… adults bullying adults. Aaron Sorkin is an amazing screenwriter.

The piecing of the completed hexagon strips of Tampa Kaleidoscope quilt has begun. The anticipated result is amazing, better than we expected. Seven cluster rows and 15 inches width are now finished to our Sea Foam afghan. Check out details on Quilts SB and Afghans SB.

Looks like the rain is a’coming. Happy Florida Monsoon.

Be healthy and enjoy,

Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment