Jim's Trek V, my exercise journey now on my Schwinn 170 from Tampa to parts unknown...

Monday, December 17, 2012

Day 15 – Maintaining 13.0 Miles – Cooking On My Way to Deland, Florida

Good Day,

And my Schwinn 150 Trek from Tampa to Seattle continues… 13 miles this morning. No weight gain and stabilized blood sugar count. There appears to be a bit more definition to my legs. Trying to sweat down my AARP stomach. I wonder if there will be a discernible change when I reach my final 3,301 miles.


My 13.0 miles has me stopped at the Veteran’s Memorial Highway moving north to my next Interlake destination at Deland, Florida. Lonely road, aka highway, and I’ve reached the intersection of a road with no name, something akin to…

On the first part of the journey,
I was looking at all the life.
There were plants and birds, and rocks and things,
There was sand and hills and rings.

Don’t have to worry about meeting a fly with a buzz in my house on my Schwinn 150.

I stumbled upon an interesting book, The Art of Eating In, How I Learned to Stop Spending and Love the Stove by Cathy Erway, and published 2010. It is similar to Julie Powell’s 2006 Julie & Julia, My Year of Cooking Dangerously. Just up my alley, blogging and cooking.

Last night’s supper was Grilled Chicken Couscous Salad… and made at home. Leftover KFC grilled chicken, out of my pantry and refrigerator – couscous, chicken broth, black olives, roasted red peppers, hard-boiled eggs, ripe Key Limes from the yard, peperoncini, fresh parsley and green onions from Urban Oasis Hydroponic Farm, salt and pepper. Took me about 30 minutes to prepare… and there are some leftovers. Maybe my next stop, Chopped?


And it is official… Max is a bona-fide addition to The Pack.


Dear Jim Smith, Andy Brunhammer,

Congratulations on adopting your new friend, Max, from St. Francis Animal Rescue. Thank you for giving a deserving animal a loving home and a new lease on a happy life. We hope you enjoy the addition to your family!

St. Francis Animal Rescue

There are Hessian spies under beds and in linen closets, perceived in this morning’s chapter of Upstairs Downstairs. The Lusitania; a death two days after landing; and Hudson becomes a local constable…

Enjoy,

Jim

2 comments:

  1. The cous cous looks delish! I'm sure you'll see changes as you move forward. The legs are the biggest muscles in your body, so exercising them gives you the most bang for the buck. After you get more comfortable try changing the resistance as if you're biking up hills (increase resistance so the peddling is harder), then down hills (lower the resistance to catch your breath and to increase your oxygen) (intervals).

    Keep it up, we want to come over sometime early next year for a ride on that fabulous bike path that runs North and South throughout the area (I think it's like 46 miles?).

    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kevin, I will have to use my roller blades, as I'm not sure that my Schwinn 150 will physically travel too far. Also regarding the resistance I began at a 3-level and have already moved up to a 4. JKLS.

    ReplyDelete