Jim's Trek V, my exercise journey now on my Schwinn 170 from Tampa to parts unknown...

Sunday, March 9, 2014

Day 15 - (AD 445) – Jim's Trek Part III – 21.4 Miles – Somewhere in NSW, Australia on My Schwinn 150

Good Day,

Daylight savings time. Damn. It was 3:30 am when I got to bed last night. And so I am a wee bit late getting on to my Schwinn 150. This late morning I cycled another 21.4 miles. My total mileage from Day 1 is now 8,938.3 miles; 14,384.8 kilometers.


This morning I am still located, heading south, on Monaro Highway/B23/B72. I have another 370 miles to cycle before I reach my next goal. I think, according to Google Maps I may be in or just west of the Dangelong Nature Reserve. I am also just north of Grannys or Grundys Flat Creek and it looks like I will still be cycling in New South Wales for about the next three days.

On a lark and on somewhat of a challenge I have submitted my entry to the Amtrak Residency program. Wouldn’t it be a thrill if I do get accepted? Here are the brief paragraphs I sent in.

I began using a Schwinn 150 on December 2, 2012 to lose some weight and gain benefit from daily exercise. Over 445 days of cycling a daily average of about 20 miles I have reduced my waist from 44” to 32”. I am also a diabetic, Type II and since last July 2013 I have stopped all my diabetes medication. My current A1c is approximately 5.00%. These are only a few of the health benefits. I am 62 years old. I called my exercise journey Jim’s Trek.

My first Trek was to virtually plot a trip, using the amount of miles that I cycled on a daily basis. The idea of my virtual Trek was to begin at my home at 4216 Interlake Drive, Tampa and continue unto 4216 Interlake Street, Seattle, Washington. I completed the first part of my Trek and then started a return trip back to Tampa. The total number of miles that I completed in 430 days was 8,617.1. On February 23, 2014 I began a new trek, Jim’s Trek III. I have recorded my every day and presented my journal and blog at Jim’s Trek.

I have the idea that I could couple my actual exercising using a Schwinn Fitness cycle and #AmtrakResidency program to take my commitment to a new level. My thought is that using a stationary Schwinn cycle while traveling on an Amtrak train, I believe that I could introduce the benefits of health awareness while traveling our country in a real way. I would exercise and complete my daily 20 miles while I would be able to also provide a focus of where and when my distance is also realized in a real way on my Amtrak journey. I would continue to write my journal and blog to my Jim’s Trek and provide my readers a very different source and perspective. All-things-being-equal I can envision a partnership with me, Amtrak and Schwinn Fitness.

Okay I may be off my rocker but just think of the thrill should I get accepted. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Eh?

Recent status from FedEx. The box, albeit package left Troutdale, Oregon yesterday at 6:09 am. They are estimating that it should be delivered on Friday, March 14.

And can I tell you that Fringe, without commercials, is definitely one of those television series that allows me to cycle without being bored on my Schwinn 150.

If you are reading this blog and just so happen to be somewhere along my route in Australia please feel free to drop me a line at jsmith58@gmail.com. Certainly would welcome it.

Be healthy and enjoy,

Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment